Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Daily Thoughts 01/23/2019

File:Chaplin-Girl in a Pink Dress Reading, with a Dog.jpg
Girl In A Pink Dress Reading with a Dog, Charles Joshua Chaplin,  19th Century

Daily Thoughts 01/23/2019

I checked the library Twitter and Facebook this morning.

I finished reading Introducing Quantum Theory: A Graphic Guide by J.P. McEvoy and Oscar Zarate.  This book took a historical approach to the ideas of quantum physics.  It made them understandable by focusing on what each of the major figures in quantum physics accomplished.  The black and white images were a montage of photographs, drawings, textboxes, and speech balloons.  They made the subjects interesting by adding small tidbits about the eccentricities of each scientist.  I liked the sections on Niels Bohr and Albert Einstein.  The focus was mainly on the 1920s and 1930s.  There was not a whole lot on Richard Feynman.

I enjoyed reading this book.  It made the subject easy and clear which is not easy to do with quantum physics.

I checked the gift books and the displays this morning.

I spent some time checking the 500s and the biography in the mezzanine.

I also discussed programming with a colleague.  We are planning programming for the next six months.

I did evaluations for two of my colleagues.  I also got evaluated.

We got some charging strips for USBs today so people can charge their phones or devices.

There is a Javascript class today in the computer lab from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.

Web Bits


Library of Congress Needs Volunteers to Digitize Its Records

Library of Congress Visitors Can Now Reap Rewards of Library's  Crowdsourcing Labors

Library Systems Embracing Their New Roles As Social Service Hubs



No comments: