Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Daily Thoughts 10/19/2011

Merchants' Exchange and Newsroom, 50 and 52 Pine Street, New York ; the reading-room

Daily Thoughts 10/19/2011

I checked the Twitter and Facebook accounts.  We also had the Internet Job Search Hour from 2:00-3:00 p.m. today.  I also checked the displays.  One of our displays is for current events.  I plan on doing a display of biographies of poets soon.  We are reading the biography of a poet for the next Biography Book Club on November 15, 2011 at 3:00 p.m.

 I also spent some time checking the gift books.  We got quite a few classic titles like The Great Gatsby, Romeo and Juliet, Hamlet, and other titles.  The Friends of the Library were in the sorting area preparing for the book sale on November 4 and November 5.  I always enjoy the sale.  It is a chance to have some coffee and cookies and buy a few books.  There are always a few book dealers who come through during the sale.  The Friends of the Library are bringing some books to give away during the Farmers Market tomorrow as a way to get more people to come to the book sale.

There is a Board of Trustees Meeting tonight at 6:30 p.m. at the library.  We also have the Mount Vernon Writers Network tomorrow on Thursday from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. which should be excellent. 

I spent some time reading Publishers Weekly and Library Journal this afternoon.  I put the book Spontaneous Happiness by Andrew Weil on hold.  Also the book HTML, XHTML, & CSS by Elizabeth Castro came in for me to read.

I spent some time working on a schedule for November and December programs and practiced a bit on Microsoft Excel 2007 on Lynda.com.

Three more books came in for me to read, Without A Net Librarians Bridging the Digital Divide by Jessamyn C. West which tackles how to bring in basic computer needs for patrons in public libraries, Just My Type A Book About Fonts by Simon Garfield, and Into the Hinterlands by David Drake and John Lambshea which is a fantasy novel.

No comments: