Saturday, October 8, 2011

Daily Thoughts 10/8/2011

Nathaniel Hawthorne. (Bust) Lithograph by Armstrong & Co., 1883.

Daily Thoughts 10/8/2011 


This morning, I checked the Twitter and Facebook accounts.  I also finished taking the Drupal 7 online course from Lynda.com and started taking Web Design Fundamentals.  It has been a steady learning process.

I also started reading The Orphan Master's Son by Adam Johnson.  It is an Advanced Reading Copy provided by Library Journal.  The book is coming out on January 10, 2012.  The setting is absolutely unique and the story is very different.  It is told from the perspective of a North Korean who is raised in an orphanage.  Every few chapters, the main characters circumstances change from being a kidnapper to being on a boat to being in a prison camp.  There is a surreal harsh quality to the quality which reminds me of The Gulag Archipelago.

I finished taking Web Design Fundamentals from Lynda.com this evening.  The teacher recommended a book Designing With Web Standards by Jeffrey Zeldman.  I put the second edition on hold.  He also recommended the book, Don't Make Me Think by Steve Krug which is excellent.


The Lynda.com course set out a set of skills that would be useful to learn, HTML, CSS, Javascript, and Photoshop.  I also probably should take some time to review my Microsoft Office skills as well.









No comments: