Sunday, October 23, 2011

Daily Thoughts 10/23/2011

Page spread from Kelmscott Chaucer. Book was printed in 1896 by Kelmscott Press.

Daily Thoughts 10/23/2011

I have been reading more of Just My Type.  I learned that road signs are easier to read if they are in a mix of capital and lowercase letters, there are over 100,000 fonts, Dr. Seuss is set in Garamond font, and that the man, Cobden-Sanderson, who created the Doves font threw all the metal type into the Thames river so it would disappear forever.  There is something very refreshing about acquiring tidbits of knowledge that are of questionable use.

I also spent a little more time looking at Facebook and Twitter this morning.  Last night and a bit more this morning, I did a little more time studying HTML 5 and CSS on Lynda.com.  It is becoming more understandable.  I am also learning how search engines read html and cascading style sheets.  Different search engines are better at reading web documents.  Web pages look different in different search engines.  What I noticed is that the Opera search engine seems to be the one which is most up to date.

I finished reading Just My Type this evening.  It was quite enjoyable.

Web Bits

Free crowd sourced ebook.  School Libraries What's Now, What's Next, What's Yet to Come edited by Kristin Fontichiaro http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/96705

The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.









No comments: