Saturday, December 31, 2011

Daily Thoughts 12/31/2011

Howard Pyle (1853-1911) and his daughter Phoebe. Photographer: Frances Benjamin Johnston


Daily Thoughts 12/31/2011

I spent some time looking at different versions of E-reader software on my desktop computer.  I have the Kindle, Kobo, Sony, and Nook reader software on my computer.  They are not that different.  There are some  differences in font faces, but the navigation is very similar.  Most of them have a variety of sample books.  Some are only short excerpts of the whole book like This Will Make You Smarter: New Scientific Concepts to Improve Your Thinking by John Brockman which is a 24 page excerpt from the book.  It is not hard to download books.  I downloaded The True Benjamin Franklin by Sydney George Fisher onto the Kindle software.  None of it is particularly difficult.  I also spent a little bit of time reading The Prince by Machiavelli on the Nook. Most of it is very similar.

I put the book This Changes Everything: Occupy Wall Street and the 99% Movement by Sarah Roth Van Gelder as an electronic hold.  I also downloaded Overdrive Media Console to my home computer so I could read ebooks on my computer at home.  It is practice for an upcoming project.

Web Bits


Occupy Vancouver Library, The People's Lovely Library

Occupy Your Sidewalk with a Micro Library
A little odd. Not quite librarianish.

Take This Book: The People's Library at Occupy Wall Street
$40 for a personal copy.  A bit expensive for my tastes.

Another Kickstarter Book Project
Saving Our Public Libraries: Why We Should: How We Can
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1094941765/book-saving-our-public-libraries-why-we-should-how

No comments: