Monday, August 31, 2015

Daily Thoughts 08/31/2015

File:Community Center LCCN98513448.tif
Community Center, Abstract Poster, Works Progress Administration, Between 1936 and 1941

Daily Thoughts 08/31/2015

I checked the displays and the gift books this morning.

I also checked the Twitter and Facebook for the library.

I placed an order for new books and dvds.

There is a town hall meeting this evening at 6:30 p.m. in the community room for the public.


The beginning computer classes are tonight from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.  We have one session for Fundamentals of Computers and a Beginning Microsoft Word.

I spent some time printing up flyers for various programs.  I also had the poster printed for September is National Library Card month.

I spent some time working on the Latino Americans 500 Years of History Grant.

The townhall meeting was quite interesting.  There were a lot of recognizable patrons, a few board members, a number of people from the Friends of the Library, and the Mount Vernon Public Library foundation.

People talked a lot about the importance of the local history room, the need for better community outreach, more programming for the children, and improved technology.

I read some more of The End of All Things by John Scalzi.  I like the diplomacy and intrigue in the novel.  There are four factions, the Colonial Union which is an organization of earth colonies, earth, the Conclave which is an alien alliance, and the Equilibrium which is an organization which wants to break apart the Conclave, destroy earth, and end the Colonial Union.  This makes for a complex story.


Web Bits


This City Offered Free Public Transportation to Anyone Reading a Book on a Bus
http://magazine.good.is/articles/romania-bus-ride-free-reading-books


Neil Gaiman: ‘my parents didn’t have any rules about what I couldn’t read’


The Curious Case of Basketball Star Turned Authors: Kareem Abdul Jabbar



No comments: