Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Daily Thoughts 03/29/2016

Mrs Cassatt Reading to her Grandchildren - Mary Cassatt
Mrs. Cassatt Reading to Her Grandchildren, Mary Cassatt, 1880

Daily Thoughts 03/29/2016

I checked the library Twitter and Facebook this morning.

I checked the gift books and the displays.

On the way to work, I finished reading Magruder's Curiosity Cabinet by H.P. Wood.  There is a little bit on the historical background of the book at the back.  In the early 1900s there were brief experiences with plague in San Francisco and Honolulu, Hawaii.  This book is very much a speculation on what may have happened.   I like that there was an element of both trickery and chicanery in this books.

I also read a little bit more of She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb. The main character, Dolores Price is in college at this point.

I have a copy of the New York Times Book Review to read today.  I read a copy of the Times Literary Supplement as well as a copy of Bookpage.

I spent some time working on putting together a summary of leads for the Mount Vernon Public Library Foundation.

I also spent some time discussing grants with some colleagues.

I also spent some time looking over timesheets for part-time employees.  It is administrative work which is something that I have to do.

I checked out the book, Your Body is Your Barbell.  No Gym.  Just Gravity.  Build a Leaner, Stronger, More Muscular You in 28 Days! by BJ Gaddour.

There is a Fundamentals of Computers Class which is an hour long followed by a Beginning Microsoft Word class tonight in the computer lab.

Web Bits

Editorial: Defund Libraries:  Create A Nation of Fools
http://www.stltoday.com/news/opinion/columns/the-platform/editorial-defund-libraries-create-a-nation-of-fools/article_8623dedf-dc1f-5a66-8f8a-417922cdad5e.html


Libraries Lose A Quarter of Staff as Hundreds Close-- United Kingdom

Why Some Libraries Offer Amnesty to Scofflaw Borrowers -- And Others Call the Cops

How Librarians Can Save the Internet of Things from the Web's Centralized Fate

No comments: