Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Daily Thoughts 11/08/2017




Branch With Cherry Flowers, Writing Box and Sheet of Paper for Poems, Unidentified Artist, 18th-19th Century

Daily Thoughts 11/08/2017

I checked the library Twitter and Facebook this morning.


On the way to work, I finished reading Life 3.0 Being Human in the Age of Artificial Intelligence by Max Tegmark.  The last chapter is about how Max Tegmark creates a foundation to help create safe and beneficial artificial intelligence.  This was a unique book covering a huge amount of information.  I liked the last parts of the books which focused on what consciousness is and whether a machine can be consciousness.  I learned about a new idea, Integrated Information Theory which is a theory of consciousness.


I checked the displays and the gift books.  I put away the games from Mondays Adult Board Games night which is doing quite well. 


I checked the 800s.  I put out a new copy of the latest Bookpage.


I have four periodicals to look through, Booklist, the New York Review of Books, the Times Literary Supplement, and Bookpage.  I put in an order for new books today.

I looked up some old photographs from 2016 for a report for the director today.

On the way home, I read some more of Three Zeros.  There is information about how technology is being used to drive social business.  An example which Muhammad Yunus uses is Kiva which provides a system to make small loans for businesses http://www.kiva.org   There is a focus on helping poor people become more independent and able to rise out of poverty.


Web Bits



Manufacturing Impact: Why We Digitize



No comments: