Saturday, September 11, 2010

Daily Thoughts 9/11/2010 (Common As Air, Social Media 101, Brooklyn Book Festival

Poster design by Alex Keil, featuring book cover, Germany, 1930 Blickfang - The Eye-Catching Covers of Weimar Berlin on A Journey Round My Skull Flickr Photostream , Creative Commons Attribution From ,
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ajourneyroundmyskull/3981015443/ 

Daily Thoughts 9/11/2010

I read some more of Self Esteem, Third Edition this morning.  Right now, I am creating a long list of everything which I think I should be doing.  It is definitely too much for me to accomplish in a realistic manner in the next couple of centuries.  But, I am very much like that.

Some of the books on social media like Social Media 101 by Chris Brogan which I am reading right now,  tell you that you should not write too much about yourself, people are not that interested in the mundane things like the toast you made this morning, the coffee you drank, or the time you spent cleaning the sink.  I think it has more to do with the ability to make the mundane interesting.  I got my coffee from the local deli owner who is a bald gentleman with a goatee, I like my rye toast with grape jelly and butter, and I rinse the sink out after I use it every morning.  The little details of your personality can make a blog very interesting.  The mundane with the plain is what kills interest.  I read the first three chapters last night and will probably read a little more of it each day until I am done.

I am almost finished reading Common As Air by Lewis Hyde.  He is arguing against excessive control of intellectual property.  Lewis Hyde hide quotes the term "De minimis non curat lex", law is not interested in trivial matters to challenge the increasing focus on control of individual consumers by the music industry. This book is very much in the tradition of professors writing for the interested lay public about important ideas.

I went back and added June and July of 2008 book reviews to my list. It is clear that I will have to go back and edit many of my entries to get them to appear cleaner.  It might take some time to do this. I also have been copying a few of the reviews into Goodreads.  Goodreads allows the user to cross post their reviews to Twitter, Facebook, and blogs.

I am going to the Brooklyn Book Festival tomorrow.  There is a librarian breakfast at 10:00 a.m. at the Brooklyn Historical Society.  There also should be several people from the New York Librarians Meetup at the breakfast. http://www.brooklynbookfestival.org/BrooklynBookFestival/festival.html

No comments: