Friday, September 17, 2010

Daily Thoughts 9/17/2010 (Zero History, Books, Business)


Zane Grey, western author and writer of the book, Riders of the Purple Sage.

Daily Thoughts 9/17/2010

This is an interesting list of business books.  All of them are very popular.  The Financial Times Business Books of the Year.  http://www.ft.com/indepth/business-book-award-2010




Today has been very interesting.  The list of business resources has been added to the upcoming Business Expo 2010 for our city.  I also did a small display of business management and leadership books in the lobby.  I picked out a few books by Peter Drucker as well as some  business strategy books like Blue Ocean Strategy by W. Chan Kim and Renee Mauborgne and Built to Last by Charles Collins.   I am still talking with SCORE about doing business counseling.




I did some spot checking the shelving in the storage areas.  Things are getting a little better.  We also got a request for Louis L'amour who writes westerns.  People are starting to get more interested in the western genre again.  Some of the older authors like Zane Grey and Max Brand are being asked for again.  Larry McMurtry and Joe Lansdale are also very popular right now.   I think some of the steampunk authors have also sparked an interest in the old west as well.  Cherie Priest has at least part of her steampunk novels set in the old west.    The Victorian setting of steampunk easily ties in with the frontier period in American history.

I also looked through the latest gifts and added some thriller paperbacks from Dan Brown, Brad Meltzer, and James Patterson.  We always get donations of romance and thriller paperbacks.

I checked out three movies, Where The Wild Things Are, City of Ember, and Coraline.  These are all based on books.  Where The Wild Things Are was one of my favorite books as a child.  I would give it a tie with One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish Blue Fish by Dr. Seuss.  I am very much looking forward to seeing it as a live action film.  I also like Neil Gaiman and his writing.  Coraline was an excellent graphic novel.




On the train home, I finished reading Zero History by William Gibson.  I felt like I was missing something when I was reading the book.  It is part of a trilogy starting with Pattern Recognition.  I did not realize this until I looked up the book as a Wikipedia article.  I had read Spook Country which also features Milgrim.  Spook Country is the second book in the trilogy.  I feel like I have to go back to read Pattern Recognition to understand the book a little better.  I put Pattern Recognition on hold.  I am not quite sure when I will read it.  I currently have ten books which I have plans to read.

If you are on Linked In, there is an excellent ebook group with thousands of members.  They are planning a physical meetup on September 24, 2010 at 6:30 p.m. http://www.linkedin.com/groupItem?view=&gid=1515307&type=member&item=29195727&qid=d76be11f-da3b-4940-9a9b-66c849ce5ac6

No comments: