Friday, November 5, 2010

Daily Thoughts 11/5/2010 (Budget)


Marie Adalaide, 1753, Jean-Étienne Liotard

Daily Thoughts 11/5/2010

I spent some time this morning neatening the displays.  I also did a little bit of weeding.  In addition, I went through the request list for the bookmobile.  It is mainly older people.  They go to the nursing homes and the senior center.  I place holds for books which I can't find and also pick out some of the large print titles I plan on ordering based on requests from the Bookmobile.

The book, Djibouti by Elmore Leonard came in for me to read.

I also spent some time looking around the book sale.  I picked out two copies of The Autobiography of Malcolm X which is always requested to add to the collection.  I also bought a cup of coffee and some cookies which goes to the Friends of the Library.   There are a lot of patrons that I recognize.  I have been working at the library for over seven years.

I asked if I could talk to people about the possible budget cuts and retirement offers.  The director said yes, I should talk to people.  It is kind of interesting because I think I am directly under someone who may choose not to leave and I could be bumped downward because of this decision.  It is an interesting experience.  The decision also eliminates all the departmental director level positions that are unionized where I work.  There are six positions being eliminated; not all of them are librarian positions.  Director level positions are considered Librarian III positions in civil service. 

There is an assistant director position which is being filled from the management line.  It looks like a way to create a purely non-exempt management line.

I am going to http://mysite.pratt.edu/~sla/  I am going today to: Friday, November 5 - Thinking Outside the Library: Non-traditional Careers for Information Professionals
 

No comments: