Monday, January 10, 2011

Daily Thoughts 1/10/2011 (i live in the future and this is how it works, true grit)

De quoi écrire, Hermann Fenner-Behmer

Daily Thoughts 1/10/2011

I read some more of I live in the future and this is how it works by Nick Bilton.  He is writing about personalization and digital natives in the current sections I am reading.  Part of personalization is that it is easy to make people the center of web applications.  You become the center of the world on Twitter on Google Maps and Facebook.  For digital natives, people who grew up with the internet, this is perfectly natural.  We will see them coming into the workforce and changing it within the next five years.

This morning, I pulled some comics  for the Graphic Novels club and checked the displays to make sure they are in order.  I put up a new display for African American history on Friday.

A colleague found me a copy of True Grit by Charles Portis. It is something which I definitely want to read.  I also checked out Diana Gabaldon An Outlander Graphic Novel, The Exile illustrated by Hoang Nguyen.

I am working on a short list of websites for an Internet Job Search Hour on January 18, 2011.  Most of them come from the list on our website.

On the way home, I finished reading I live in the future and here's how it works by Nick Bilton. The book is taking current trends and pushing them into the future.  It ends with some things that fascinate me; Bug Labs which makes modular open source computer hardware http://www.buglabs.net%20/,  Maker Bot with its Thingomatic, http://wiki.makerbot.com/thingomatic, and New York City Resistor which is a hacker collective for computer hardware http://www.nycresistor.com/ .  This is a nice reminder that the changes in publishing and ebooks will soon spread out into manufacturing with 3d printers, wireless computer hardware, and a lot of new innovations.

I also had a chance to start with True Grit by Charles Portis.  More than anything else, it makes me want to watch the John Wayne film.  I like westerns.

I am also reading Rules for Revolutionaries The Capitalist Manifesto for Creating and Marketing New Products and Services by Guy Kawasaki.



Web Bits

If you are interested in where a picture came from, there is the Tin Eye search engine.  You upload the picture and it searches the internet for where it came from.  http://www.tineye.com/

No comments: