Friday, January 7, 2011

Daily Thoughts 1/7/2011 (Yonkers Public Library)

Portrait of Rembrandt van Rijn's son by Saskia van Uylenburgh, Titus van Rijn.
Signed and dated bottom left: Rembrandt f. 1655

Daily Thoughts 1/7/2011

This morning, I read a little bit more of Information Architecture for the World Wide Web.  The writers were explaining the concept of blueprints for websites and wireframes or mockups of websites.  I found it kind of interesting.  It is a relatively new concept for me. On the way home, I read a little more of the book.  The authors were pointing out some of the duties of being a professioinal; following an ethical code in choosing words, selling the profession, and being willing to follow a path of continuous eduction.

Today is another quiet steady day.  I looked over the new materials donation form and checked on some gift books.  I also updated the collection management sheet for patron requests.

We got a few gifts in and I did a little bit of weeding in the paperback section.  It was a very predictable day.  I have been thinking a little bit about how to reach out for donations.

I also read read a little bit more I live in the future and this is how it works.  Nick Bilton was describing how social networks act as filter for internet content.  Your social networks separate out the material you want to look at by creating a pool of selected links, images, and articles.  I fint Twitter quite useful for this.  I try and follow people who are in the book or library industry.  It serves as an alert to new occurrences and new technology as it emerges.

Web Bits

This is an article about Yonkers Public Library.  Many libraries are feeling the pinch of budget cuts.  Often libraries are viewed as an easy way to reduce funding.  A Properly Funded Library Essential for Yonkers Community.

http://www.lohud.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2011101070306

No comments: