Friday, January 21, 2011

Daily Thoughts 1/21/2011 (What Technology Wants, Audiobooks)

A favourite author, Poul Friis Nybo (1869–1929), 1929

Daily Thoughts 1/21/2011

Today has been a good day.  We talked about grants in the morning.  I am going to be working on a grant for devices like the Kindle and the Ipad.  I am hoping I can get some book apps for the Ipad as part of the grant.

We also got a large donation of audiobooks that are fairly current.  Titles like K is for Killer by Sue Grafton, Testimony by Anita Shreve, The Master Sniper by Stephen Hunter, and The Overton Widow by Glenn Beck which are popular.  I used the new form for donations for the first time.

I also spent some time selecting orders from my Ingram Alerts, Earlyword, Shelf Awareness and other sources.  I really like http://www.earlyword.com/ it has a nice selection for new material.

I read some more of What Technology Wants by Kevin Kelly.  He is talking about the interdependence of life, how life forms need each other to survive.  He compares this to how we increasingly need technology to live.

Web Bits

I think I am going to do this next week on Thursday, January 27, 2011
Libraries Are Essential: Providing Core Services To Readers
http://www.beyondthejob.org/?p=2839

No comments: