Thursday, January 20, 2011

Daily Thoughts 1/20/2011 (New York City Digital Show and Tell, Metadata)

An engraving of Harriet Beecher Stowe from 1872, based on an oil painting by Alonzo Chappel, published by Johnson Fry & Co

Daily Thoughts 1/20/2011

I have started reading Metadata Fundamentals for Librarians by Priscilla Caplan.  I am finding it surprisingly interesting.  The idea that there is a standard format for metadata called Dublin Core makes it easier to think about it.  Metadata is basically data about data.  I think I am getting the basic idea of how it works.  It is basically a way to standardize and index searching for data.

I made a few calls for programming today.  I talked to the senior services people in the city and the Womens Enterprise Development Center.  I also checked the displays to make sure things are in order.

I left a little bit early today to go to the New York City Digital Show and Tell. http://www.bisg.org/events-0-628-nyc-digital-show-and-tell.php I was one of the people who watched, they were doing short pitches for different digital ebook products.  There were some surprises.  I will write more about it later.  I learned Book Glutton has a new spinoff product, Read Social.  I also found out about some interesting new sites like http://www.peroozal.com/ which is a site where authors recommend books they have read. I will write about it mor later. 

No comments: