Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Daily Thoughts 10/12/2011

Horatio Alger, Jr. (1832-1899), American writer.  Horatio Alger is famous for writing rags to riches stories.

Daily Thoughts 10/12/2011

I read a little bit more of Designing With Web Standards Second Edition on the train to work.  It made me realize I should be reading a book on HTML 4, Javascript, and CSS because those were the current web standards.  I checked out the book Visual Quickstart HTML for the World Wide Web 4th Edition by Elizabeth Castro.

I also refilled the flyer rack at the base the stairs and checked the displays.  In addition, I updated the Twitter and Facebook pages for the library.  I also checked the gifts and added a book by Kimberla Lawson Roby who is a bestselling African American author.

From 2:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. we had our Internet Job Search Hour.  I spent a little more time learning about HTML 5 on Lynda.com.

I put the book, Public Parts: How Sharing In the Digital Age Improves The Way We Work and Live on hold by Jeff Jarvis.  Jeff Jarvis wrote What Would Google Do?.  His material is popular writing which is easily understandable by most people.

I spent a little time reading the New York Times Book Review and Publishers Weekly this afternoon.  I put The Better Angels of Our Nature Why Violence Has Declined by Steven Pinker on hold.  I also put the graphic novel The Death Ray by Daniel Clowes on hold.  Daniel Clowes has an eccentric, independent streak in his graphic novels.  I'm planning on looking through the Ebony magazine bestseller lists this evening.

Web Bits


Opening Your Library to Entrepreneurs
http://ala-publishing.informz.net/ala-publishing/archives/archive_1841700.html
I find this interesting because the idea of Coworking interests me.  This is the first time I am seeing this put into effect in a library setting.  I've visited a coworking space in Manhattan, New Work City.  It is something I thiink is quite fascinating.  It is also the first time I have seen a librarian moonlighting in a coworking space.

No comments: