Monday, October 31, 2011

Daily Thoughts 10/31/2011


William Michael Harnett, Still Life With Three Castles Tobacco, c1880
Daily Thoughts 10/31/2011

This morning I read some more of Rediscovering the Greatest Human Strength Willpower.  The book is describing how glucose and other sugars affect peoples thinking.  It reminds us to eat a good breakfast with fruit and other foods that slowly release glucose.

This morning, I checked the Twitter and Facebook accounts and the displays to make sure things were in order.

I also spent some more time on Lynda.com studying Photoshop CS5.  I checked with a librarian visiting from Westchester Library System about the length of Lynda.com and hopefully I can still continue using it.  If I can, I will start on Microsoft Publisher 2010 and Dreamweaver CS5.

Happy Halloween. There were a lot of programs for children today.  We had a storyteller come in and a bilingual Spanish and english storytime.  Many of the staff are in costume.  There is also a lot of candy in different places around the building.

I spent some more time weeding in the mezzanine.  I also confirmed that we will be having two sessions of computer training on Tuesday nights starting on November 15, 2011.  One session will be from 5:30-6:30 p.m. and the next session will be from 6:45-7:45 p.m.

On the way home, I read some  more of Rediscovering the Greatest Human Strength Willpower.  The authors are writing about how to set goals.  One of the best reminders is to set goals which you can work on every single day.  Another reminder was to not set goals which conflict with each other. 

I have been thinking ahead a little bit.  I am looking forward to the Book and Bake Sale on November 4.  I usually stop by and talk to the Friends of the Library there and have some coffee and a cookie during my break.  The book dealers usually come at the beginning of the sale to buy up the best material first.  They also tend to come at the end as well when they can try and get a bargain.

Web Bits

Survey Says Library Users Are Your Best Customers

http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/industry-news/publishing-and-marketing/article/49316-survey-says-library-users-are-your-best-customers.html

Reading a Book Versus a Screen: Different Reading Devices, Different Modes of Reading?

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/10/111020094337.htm

No comments: