Friday, October 28, 2011

Daily Thoughts 10/28/2011

Illustration from 1819 edition of "The Comic Adventures of Old Mother Hubbard and her Dog". Old Mother Hubbard's Dog Reading The London Gazette

Daily Thoughts 10/28/2011

I checked the Twitter and Facebook account for the library this morning.  I also checked the displays.  This morning I spent some time working on my programming schedule for November and December.  During lunch I spent a small amount of time watching Lynda.com videos on Photoshop and Microsoft Excel 2007.

Three books came in for me to read, Beginning HTML, XHTML, CSS, and Javascript by Jon Duckett, Habibi by Craig Thompson (Craig Thompson writes slice of life comics with an alternative edge), and Willpower Rediscovering The Greatest Human Strength by Roy F. Baumeister and John Tierney.

I read the latest New York Times Book Review and Publishers Weekly.  There is a sequel to Road to Perdition by Max Allan Collins, Return to Perdition in graphic novel form.

I did a little more weeding in the mezzanine.  I also picked out a book to read for the next Biography Book Club.  We are reading a biography of a famous poet.  The book I picked out is The Letters of Robert Frost to Louis Untermeyer.  It is an older book which one of my colleagues suggested.

I also spent some time looking through the gift books.  We got some more donations for the young adult classic collection, mainly books by John Steinbeck.

On the way home, I read some more of Public Parts by Jeff Jarvis.  The author spends quite a bit of time debating the merits of sharing information on social networks as well as the concepts of privacy and oversharing.

Web Bits

Sometimes you find interesting books which address issues that are just coming into the mainstream.  I found this interview about a new book very interesting.

Race Against The Machine: How the Digital Revolution is Accelerating Innovation, Driving Productivity, and Irreversibly Transforming Employment and the Economy by Erik Brynjolfsson and Andrew McAfee

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/american-workers-race-against-machine-165318939.html

No comments: