Thursday, February 2, 2012

Daily Thoughts 02/02/2012

Newspaper publishing - N.Y. Herald: Composing room and linotype machines  Date Created/Published: 1902.

Daily Thoughts 02/02/2012

This morning I read a bit of Fab on the way to work.  The author is describing additive manufacturing as well as different creative uses which people are putting fab labs to use for.  He describes how people design things so they can be taken apart as part of the initial creative process.

This morning, I checked the displays and updated the Twitter and Facebook accounts for the library.

We had the computer lab open from 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. today.  I helped a few people with their email and helped a few people apply for jobs. 

We also have the Women's Enterprise Development Center tonight from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. they are doing an Enhanced First Steps Program for entrepreneurship.  I am speaking to the teacher about the computer lab.  She also teaches the computer classes.

I got sent a box of Advanced Reading Copies from Library Journal today.  I got Bridge of Scarlett Leaves by Kristina McMorris, Wildflowers from Winter by Katie Ganshert, The Widow of Saunders Creek by Tracey Bateman, The Grievers by Marc Schuster, Make It Stay by Joan Frank, Isaac A Modern Fable by Ivan G. Goldman, Fallen Angels by Connie Dial, and Flat Spin by David Freed.  It is always nice to get these books.  It reminds me of why I am a librarian.

I finished reading Fab on the way home.  I enjoyed reading the book because it was essentially about a new kind of innovation.  People were adapting manufacturing to their unique wants and needs in unique places.  I especially liked the examples from India.  It makes me want to read more about the Maker movement.

No comments: