Friday, February 24, 2012

Daily Thoughts 02/24/2012


Daily Thoughts 02/24/2012


This morning, I updated the Twitter and Facebook account for the library.  I also spent a little bit of time looking over my Linked In account.  I am planning on going to New York Libraries Share on March 18, 2012 which is a networking group for librarians on Facebook.

I have been reading some more of What Color is Your Parachute and doing the career assessments.  The assessments confirm my desire to work at the crossroads of reading, social media, and content.

I also have been looking at social reading sites like Goodreads, Shelfari, Library Thing, Book Lamp, Scribd, Red Lemonade, Open Margin, Wattpad, Bibliocrunch, Bookjar, Book Glutton which has become Read Social, Subtext, Netgalley which is more of an electronic galley service than a social network.  I also signed up to try two new Social Reading platforms, Bookish and Flatleaf which have not quite launched.  There are also some rather interesting sites which are around like Inkpop- a creative writing site for teens and Cowbird which is a kind of storytelling site.

I spent some time earlier this morning looking at Digital Book World, Teleread, the Digital Shift, and O'Reilly Tools of Change.  I'll probably take a look at IDPF (the International Digital Publishing Forum) and the BISG (Book Industry Study Group) as well.

I am almost done reading What Color Is Your Parachute.  I have an idea of what my assessed strengths are and what I am interested in doing.  I filled in the flower diagram in the book.  Now, I have to start talking to people about different activities.

Web Bits


Steal This Idea
http://www.digitalbookworld.com/2012/steal-this-idea/

Reading The Future: Digital Books and What's To Come for Literature
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/bookreviews/9086635/Reading-the-future-Digital-books-and-whats-to-come-for-literature.html

No comments: