Monday, March 7, 2016

Daily Thoughts 03/07/2016


Poynter - a day dream.jpg
Edward Poynter, A Daydream, 1862

Daily Thoughts 03/07/2016

I checked the library Twitter and Facebook this morning.

I went to the dentist this morning.

On the way there, I finished reading Failure Why Science is So Successful by Stuart Firestein.  I liked this book.  It gives excellent arguments on why scientists should take risks and try new things.  Part of the argument is for the value of basic research and going into unknown territory.  Stuart Firestein argues that we should be more open to failure and take bigger risks rather than stick to known pathways with incremental results in science.  He also argues for the plurality of ideas.   This book is worth reading if you want to understand the value of failure in technology and science.

I also read some more of Life In Motion by Misty Copeland.  I am reading about her joining the American Ballet Theater and her steady rise to becoming a star in the dance world.  There is a lot about the physical and emotional demands of dedicating your life to an art form.

The book, Black Box Thinking is turning out to be quite interesting as well.  Right now, I am reading about how to improve police lineups so people are not as likely to make mistakes with memory.  Memory is by its nature fallible.

I spent some time looking up recent examples of where local organizations received gifts or donations from philanthropists or local businesses.

Web Bits


Scottish Library Promises JK Rowling a Slice of Cake and She Actualy Turns Up

No comments: