Thursday, March 10, 2016

Daily Thoughts 03/10/2016

File:The Public Library of the city of Boston - a history (1911) (14594087179).jpg

The Public Library of the city of Boston - a history (1911) 


Daily Thoughts 03/10/2016

I checked the Twitter and Facebook for the library.

I started reading The Supernatural A New Vision of the Unexplained by Whitley Strieber and Jeffrey Kripal.  The book opens with two testimonials from the authors about their knowledge of the supernatural.  The testimonials come across as a little bit infallible which makes me not want to read the book.

Last night, I finished reading Black Box Thinking Why Most People Never Lean from Their Mistakes-- But Some Do by Matthew Syed.   The book ends with a discussion of the growth mindset where people view mistakes as opportunities to learn and keep an open mind,  This is the central tenet of this book.  People should be open and honest about their mistakes, record them accurately, and take the time to lean how not to repeat them.  This book is worth reading.

I am looking at the 2015 Preservation Assistance Grant guidelines.  The 2016 should be available soon.

http://www.neh.gov/files/grants/pres-assist-grants-may-5-2015-edit.pdf

I checked the gift books and the displays this morning.

I spent some time working on central library orders.  I am ordering for three things, automotive, parenting, and occult today.  I read a copy of the New York Times Book Review.

I had printed up some flyers, some bookmarks, and a few brochures.

I spent some time in the local history room talking about it with a colleague.  Larry Spruill has written some books on the history of Mount Vernon, New York.  Mount Vernon Images of America, Mount Vernon Revisited, and A Time to Remember A Portrait of African American Life in Mount Vernon.

There is an Android Phones class tonight from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. tonight.

I have to enter some more events into the Event Keeper calendar tonight.

Web Bits


Findaway Expands Preloaded Launchpad Tablet Line to Teens and Adults.

Celebrate Pi(e) Day at the Library

No comments: