Wednesday, May 29, 2019

Daily Thoughts 05/29/2019

File:Walter Frederick Osborne, The Dublin Streets; a vendor of Books (1889) - NGI cr.jpg
Walter Frederick Osborne's 1889 "The Dublin Streets; a vendor of Books" in the National Gallery of Ireland, Dublin.

Daily Thoughts 05/29/2019


I went to Book Expo America this morning and registered early. I went to the VIP lounge and read through the show planner and the Show Daily from Publishers Weekly.

I went and watched the keynote speakers. This is an article from Publishers Weekly on the keynote.

Dominique Raccah also talked about the wide variety of formats which are available for books in addition to the idea that books can be designed so that there are different versions for children, adults, and young adults.

Jacqueline Woodson mentioned We Need Diverse Books, http://www.diversebooks.org

After the keynote, I went and visited several different booths. I collected business cards from publicists for graphic novels, picked up a wide variety of catalogs and books including Identity Leadership by Graham Stedman, National Geographic Almanac 2019, Hotel Dare by Terry Blas and Claudia Aguirre which is a teen graphic novel, Young Frederick Douglass by Dickson J. Preston, Life and Death in Rikers Island by Homer Venters, and Berlin Noir Edited by Thomas Wortche which is mystery. I also picked an Advanced Reading Copy of Trouble Maker for Justice The Story of Bayard Rustin, The Man Behind the March On Washington by Jacqueline Houtman, Walter Naegle, and Michael G. Long and an Advanced Reading Copy of Bill Marriott Success Is Never Final His Life and Decisions That Built a Hotel Empire by Dale Van Atta.

I had some coffee in the Librarians Lounge where I sorted through some books. I wrote down a number of titles which I plan to order because there is a limit on how much I can carry. This includes Brooklyn the Once and Future City by Thomas J. Campanella.

I went to second program in the afternoon Learn How Public Libraries Impact Title/Author Discovery and Book Sales: Data Driven Insights From the Panorama Project. This was a panel discussion on Readers Advisory and book clubs. There were some interesting ideas about advertising for book clubs as well as partnering with local bookstores. https://www.panoramaproject.org/


I finished visiting more booths after the Panorama Project panel. There were quite a few sidelines like bookmarks and games. They even had the distributor for Madlibs.

On the way home, I finished reading Keep Going 10 Ways to Stay Creative In Good Times and Bad by Austin Kleon.  This book is a self help book focused on creativity.  It reminds you to stay focused on creating things and not get districted.  Part of this is being consistent, taking time each day to create, and staying focused.  I enjoy reading Austin Kleon's books.

I also read some more of Aristotle's Way.  I am reading about mortality and the importance of leading a good life.

No comments: