Thursday, May 30, 2019

Daily Thoughts 05/30/2019
























The April book buyer MDCCCXCIX. Charles Scribner's Sons, 153-157 Fifth Avenue, New York. Volume XVIII, number 3 / Maxfield Parrish '99 Abstract/medium: 1 print (poster) : color.


Daily Thoughts 05/30/2019

I checked the library Twitter and Facebook this morning.

I am going to my second day of Book Expo America.

On the way to the Book Expo, I started reading Trouble Maker for Justice The Story of Bayard Rustin The Man Behind the March on Washington.  It is a teen book, but it is just as easily read as an adult book.  It is a biography.  Bayard Rustin relies on Quaker philosophy for many of his ideas about nonviolent action.  This is an uncorrected proof of the book.

I also started reading an Advanced Reading Copy of  Information Wars How We Lost the Global Battle Against Disinformation And What We Can Do About It by Richard Stengel.

I finished reading Aristotle's Way How Ancient Wisdom Can Change Your Life by Edith Hall. The last chapter writes about morality and how it is important to be remembered as having lived a good life.

I picked up a variety of sample comics which we are going to use to make collage.  I also picked up several graphic novels to add to the collection like Moonstruck Volume 1 Magic to Brew and Deadly Class 1987 Reagan Youth.  In addition, I got a few more books including The Non-Obvious Guide to Small Business Marketing (Without a Big Budget) by Rohit Bhargava,  First Chance How Kids With Nothing Can Change Everything by Robert Owen Carr and Cancer Crossings A Brother, His Doctors, and the Quest for a Cure to Childhood Leukemia by Tim Wendel.

 I also got some more contacts for graphic novels.  I finished walking around most of the booths.  I went to both the Librarians Lounge and the VIP lounge.

At 12:05 p.m. I went to a panel called The Future of Library Ebook Lending.  This panel was a combination of librarians and publishers discussing the future of e-books.  They were discussing a collaborative initiative between a number of different groups like the Book Industry Study Group, Bookops which is the central processing unit for materials for New York Public Library, Queens Library, and Brooklyn Public Library, Penguin Random House which is a publisher, the Califa Group which is a library consortium focused on statewide lending for e-books in California, and the Massachusetts Library System.  Information this study is available at http://poweroflibraries.org

I relaxed a little bit then went to a networking reception for VIP librarians hosted by National Geographic and Diamond Comic Book Distributors.

The last thing I did before going home was to have some library cake at the Librarians Lounge.  When I got back I did a little bit of work on scheduling with ADP.

I also looked at the CDBG grant for 2019 which is going to be an extension of the Teen Computer Grant with some material on outreach programs for the elderly.

Web Bits


Book Expo 2019: Pirates Still Plague E-book Seas

What Are Public Libraries For

Boston Public Library Launches Private Fund to Sponsor Programs

No comments: