Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Daily Thoughts 06/18/2013

The Grey Parrot, 1852-1853, Walter Howell Deverell. English (1827–1854)

Daily Thoughts 06/18/2013

I took a little time off for a few personal things.  This morning, I relaxed on the way to work.  I had finished reading Digital Photography Masterclass by Tom Ang.  It was an excellent conceptual overview of digital photography focused on the different concepts like tone, light, color, and monochrone.  It included a lot of the basic technical information on photography like RGB (Red, Green, and Blue) and CMYK (Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, and Key Black) for color.  The pictures were varied and beautiful in the book. I enjoyed reading it.

I checked the Twitter and Facebook for the library.  We are getting ready for our Summer Reading programs.   I also checked the displays this morning.

I spent some time reading Publishers Weekly and the New York Times Book Review.  I also spent a little time looking at the Purchase Alerts, and the bestseller lists from the New York Times Book Review and Publishers Weekly.

I am thinking about going to the Harlem Book Fair on July 19 and July 20, 2013.  It should be interesting.
http://www.qbr.com/harlem-book-fair.aspx

There are two computer classes tonight, an Introduction to Microsoft Word class and a Fundamentals of Computer Operations class.

I checked out the book, The Golem and the Jinni A Novel by Helene Wecker today.  I am going to read some of it on the train home.  It is a beautifully written fantasy story set in the tenements of old New York.  The contrast of having a male Syrian Jinni and a female Jewish golem makes for excellent counterpoint.

Web Bits

Repurposing Retail Library By Design
http://lj.libraryjournal.com/2013/06/buildings/lbd/repurposing-retail-library-by-design/

Amazon Publishing Has First Million Copy Hit: Will Authors, Agents Take Notice?
http://www.forbes.com/sites/jeremygreenfield/2013/06/17/amazon-publishing-has-first-million-copy-hit-will-authors-agents-take-notice/?goback=%2Egmp_1515307%2Egde_1515307_member_250958744

No comments: