Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Daily Thoughts 06/26/2013


New Fairy Tale - Nikolay Bogdanov-Belsky, 1891

Daily Thoughts 06/26/2013

I finished reading Lexicon by Max Barry last night.  The story had an edge to it.  It was very much about control and violence as it relates to language.  I liked how Max Barry threw in mythical examples of how language was created and biblical references like the tower of Babel.  It made the book more complete. 

I checked the Twitter and Facebook for the library.  I also checked the displays and the gift books.  I spent some time placing orders with central library district funds.  I am looking for obvious holes in the collection.  I ordered some interior design, decorating, craft, jewelry, and art books.  We have a lot of art books.  People especially like knitting, crochet, and needlepoint.  I am also going to spend some time looking at the literary criticism.  I'll probably be looking for criticism on contemporary latino, African American, and Asian authors.

I checked out two books, Negotiation and Motivation by Brian Tracy.  They are printed by AMACOM.  I also have a stack of advanced reading copies from library journal; Let Him Go by Larry Watson, The Book of Someday by Dianne Dixon, The Paris Architect by Charles Belfoure, The Lincoln Deception by David O. Stewart, Mother Mother by Koren Zailckas,  Longbourn by Jo Baker , Relic The Books of Eva by Heather Terrell, The Rathbones by Janice Clark, A Beautiful Truth A Novel by Colin McAdam, Death of a Nightingale by Lene Kaaberbol and Agnete Friis which is a thriller, and Jhumpa Lahiri, The Lowland.

Web Bits

Barnes and Noble Will End Manufacturing Tablets as Company Posts Large Quarterly Loss
http://www.infodocket.com/2013/06/25/barnes-noble-will-end-manufacturing-tablets-as-company-posts-large-quarterly-loss/#_
I am glad I did not get a Nook.

Younger Americans Want Great Library Programs and Spaces More Than Ebooks
http://lisnews.org/younger_americans_want_great_library_programs_and_spaces_more_than_ebooks

No comments: