Thursday, June 27, 2013

Daily Thoughts 06/27/2013

Lady Reading In a Wooded Park, George Stubbs, 1768-1770

Daily Thoughts 06/27/2013

Last night, I finished reading Negotiation by Brian Tracy.  It is a nearly perfect subway read.  The book itself is a pocket book sized hardcover.   It is short, 102 pages with the index.  I could finish it in a single sitting.  One of my fellow passengers on the subway commented that she liked the way the book looked.  She even took a look at it while I was reading it.  Her impression was that it was very much common sense oriented and perfect for a salesperson looking for something to read.

I found the language in the book to be very practical.  The author gave simple steps for negotiating.  He identified the differences between short term negotiations like buying a car and long term negotiating like negotiating a business lease for a building.  There were many points made about being calm, being prepared, doing your research, and how to be considerate so people will talk to you.  The book came across as both practical and to the point.

This morning, I spent some time updating the Twitter and the Facebook for the library.  I also checked the displays and the gift books.  Today is the first day of the Adult Summer Reading Program.

I also read a couple of copies of Publishers Weekly and the latest Library Journal. I spent a little time talking to people about where we might have holes in our adult nonfiction collection.  I also spent a little time putting together some orders.

I checked out the book, Ungifted Intelligence Redefined The Truth About Talent, Practice, Creativity, and the Many Paths to Greatness by Scott Barry Kaufman.

We had the computer lab open today from 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.  There were also two computer classes tonight, a Microsoft Excel class and a Microsoft Powerpoint class.

Web Bits

Libraryreads Book Discovery Program to Launch ALA Annual 2013
http://lj.libraryjournal.com/2013/06/marketing/libraryreads-book-discovery-program-to-launch-ala-annual-2013/

No comments: