Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Afternoon Thoughts, Comics As History

Romulus and Remus Discovered by A Gentle Shepherd, From The Comic History of Rome (1850)


Afternoon Thoughts

I finished reading The Future of the Internet and How To Stop It by Jonathan Zittrain this morning on the train. It was a quite enjoyable read. I will try and get a chance to write my outline for a review very soon.

When I got in this morning, I started off by weeding the oversize graphic novels. While I was weeding I came across a very interesting book, The Great Comic Book Heroes, The Origins And Early Adventures of the Classic Superheroes of the Comic Books-- In Glorious Color. Compiled, introduced and annotated by Jules Feiffer. Jules Feiffer is a very famous editorial cartoonist. This book is c1965. It is kind of interesting. It has the origins of Batman, Superman, Captain Marvel, Human Torch, The Flash, Green Lantern, The Spirit, and many other superheroes. I am mostly letting go of the 0lder books that people have not read.

After weeding the oversize graphic novels, I did a display. The display is a collection of graphic novels on history: Joe Sacco, Safe Area Gorazde, Howard Zinn, A People's History of American Empire, Osamu Tezuka Adolf ( a manga biography of Adolf Hitler), Art Spiegelman, In The Shadow of No Towers, and a few other titles. There are a lot of graphic novels that are based on history. The movie 300 is adapted from the Frank Miller graphic novel on the Spartans fighting the Persians. This isn't exactly accurate, but it is interesting.

This afternoon, I spent a little bit of time compiling a computer book order as well. Mainly it is titles I picked out from Queens Library when I visited their computer books section. I also went through and made some small orders for the Job Information Center and the social science books. I mainly ordered licensed practical nurse and practical nurse test books for certification.

Again, today has been mostly focused on doing everyday activities. I still have to go through and file some more inserts for the law books. I also plan on doing a little desk cleaning so my desk will be a little less messy. I have a big messy desk. Things tend to pile up on it.

There is a cart of uncataloged books from the order I placed. Quite a few of the books which I ordered were not in our library system. It may take a while for them to be cataloged so they can be added. I am interested in reading them. Sometimes, this makes me a little impatient. I like seeing the books I order go out to the shelves very quickly.

No comments: