Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inauguration Day

Obama with a statue of Superman. A great pose for the new president of the United States of America. He also collects Spider Man comics.


Inauguration Day

Right now, I am listening to the inauguration ceremony 1010 Wins AM radio. I prefer to listen to political events on the radio and imagine what they are like. Barack Obama is swearing in on Lincoln's bible.

Yesterday was Martin Luther King's birthday. King paved the way for Obama so he would be able to take office. Without Dr. King they may have never been an Obama in office. Dr. King's legacy of nonviolence is a great contribution to the country. Martin Luther King made it possible for people to speak their political views without being physically intimidated.

I enjoyed reading Barack Obama's books Dreams From My Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance and The Audacity of Hope: Thoughts on Reclaiming The American Dream. These books are both excellent reading.

My grandmother helped Dianne Feinstein in her election campaign for mayor in San Francisco a long time ago. Dianne Feinstein was one of the speakers during the inauguration. I think eventually she will run for the presidency.

I thought Obama's acceptance speech was very inclusive, it was a nice call to pull everyone together and work together. It also hit the right notes on the concept of the American dream.

I was at the laundromat folding clothes, so I got to watch some more of the inauguration on television. It was fun watching the inauguration day parade. I rather liked the pictures of the motorcade and the Native Americans on horseback. Obama came across very much as a man of the people walking in the parade.

While I am writing about Obama, I took this from off the web:

Barack Obama's favorite books: taken from his facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/barackobamaSong of Solomon (Toni Morrison), Moby Dick,Shakespeare's Tragedies, Parting the Waters, Gilead (Robinson), Self-Reliance (Emerson), The Bible, Lincoln's Collected Writings. In a separate space, he had listed his favorite children's book Where The Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak.

No comments: