Monday, January 26, 2009

Miscellaneous Thoughts


Jean-Louis Ernest Meissonier (1815-1891) The Reader in White


Miscellaneous Thoughts

I am enjoying reading Mirror, Mirror by Gregory Maguire. I am finding it unique and refreshing. It is a retelling of the Snow White story. I read some more of it on the train to work this morning. I also read it for a bit on the way home from work. It is a very strange book with a unique style. I have not seen anyone else write the way he does. I really cannot compare it to any other writer I can think of. If you want something very different read this book. I am foregoing review this book because it is very hard to grasp and describe in any simple terms.

I put a few more books in the current events display. I also put in an order for books on electronics. Right now, I am also looking through the Job Information Center for outdated material to replace. I already have about twenty titles that need to be updated.

I might go to the Open Access and Libraries Conference on March 17, 2009 if I can get a pass for it. The lecture on Google Books last year was very interesting, also the part on public domain ebooks was quite interesting as well. As you can imagine, copyright was an important part of the discussion. http://unabashedlibrarian.com/open-access-2009

I spent most of the afternoon at city hall. The new assistant director of human resources was giving two presentations to city employees: a presentation on sexual harassment, and a presentation on workplace violence. Each ran for an hour long. About half of the time was spent watching a video and filling out a multiple choice questionnaire. I sent a link to our code of conduct on our website to the assistant director. I found the presentation to be fairly well put together and not at all boring which was a surprise.

On the way to the lecture I dropped off several fliers of different events at the library as well as the new service brochure and calendar of events. I am hoping it will bring in a couple of people to our events. A few of the employees asked about the AARP classes for defense driving being given at the library once a month. The price of $14 was much cheaper than most insurance classes for defensive driving.

When I got back, I did a bit more placing inserts into the law books, and pulled some books to be put in storage.

I also picked up two books on nonprofit management, How To Manage An Effective Nonprofit Organization From Writing and Managing Grants to Fundraising, Board Development, and Strategic Planning by Michael A. Sand. The other book which I am currently reading is Bulding Hope Leadership In The Nonprofit World by John Bateson. I am very interested in how this kind of thing works.

No comments: