Friday, June 13, 2014

Daily Thoughts 06/13/2014



Daily Thoughts 06/13/2014

On the way to work, I read a little more of Capital in the Twenty First Century by Thomas Piketty.  I don't get some of the economic formulas.  However, the ideas are interesting.  For example, he describes the change in the major sources of wealth between the 19th century which is focused on land and agriculture and the twentieth century which is focused on finance and industry.  This also reflects a little bit on how we view wealth today.  It used to be land was the most obvious source of wealth, where today money is.  It is interesting reading.  He even has a section on the economics of slavery during the civil war.

I also started reading The Island at the Center of the World.  I like that Russell Shorto dedicates the style of the book to the historian Barbara Tuchman.

I checked the Mount Vernon Public Library Twitter and Facebook pages.  I also printed some more flyers and checked the displays.  We have the Knit and Snack club today from 1:00 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. in the Trustees room.  I bought three crochet hooks this morning.

Web Bits



Amazon’s Hollywood Villain

Bit Rot: The Internet Never Forgets or Does It?

No comments: