Friday, January 15, 2016

Daily Thoughts 01/15/2016

"Give More Good Books to our Men in the Service" - NARA - 514386.jpg
"Give Good Books to Our Men in the Service-- 1943 Victory Book Campaign."

Daily Thoughts 01/15/2016

I checked the Twitter and Facebook for the library.


The book, Using Mobile Technology to Deliver Library Services, A Handbook by Andrew Walsh came in for me to read.

I checked the gifts and the displays this morning.

I placed an order for professional books today.

This morning on the way to work, I read some of When Books Went to War.  This book focuses on the "War for Ideas".  It reminds people that reading can be used to create the will to fight.  The book describes a propaganda war between the nazis and the allies using books.  The primary book the nazis used was Mein Kampf by Adolf Hitler to spread their ideology.  The book describes how librarians and other mobilized campaigns to provide books to the allied troops duirng World War II.

The book CAN & CAN'TANKEROUS by Harlan Ellison came in for me to read.  It is a short story collection.

I am looking at the book, Dorling Kindersley Prehistoric Life The Definitive Visual History of Life on Earth.  I was asked by a colleague to get some new books on dinosaurs with pictures of them with feathers and bright colors.  The new depictions are different.

I read some more of When Books Went to War on the way home.  I am reading about the Armed Service Edition paperbacks which were produced in the millions for troops.  They were designed to light, portable, fit in a pants or jacket pocket and be easy to read.  The most popular edition was for A Tree Grows In Brooklyn by Betty Smith.

Web Bits

The Evolving Catalog
http://americanlibrariesmagazine.org/2016/01/04/cataloging-evolves/


No comments: