Thursday, May 17, 2012

Daily Thoughts 05/17/2012

Several antique books of alphabets all open in a pile:
1. Manfredi from 1564, with the medieval music used as a cover;
2. Ornamental Alphabets by Freeman Gage Delamotte, 1879 (with the green letters);
3. The Art of Illuminating by W. R. Symms (1860), with red and brown letters showing;
4. Paragraphs on Printing by Bruce Rogers, 1943 – in the background, with the large constructed “R”;
5. Alphabets & Numbers of the Middle Ages by Henry Shaw, at top right.
From: Liam R.E. Quin Pictures of Old Books (2003)
Daily Thoughts 05/17/2012

This morning, I checked the Twitter and Facebook accounts for the library.  I also checked the displays and the gift books.  The Women's Enterprise Development Center offered to come in August. 

The library has the Computer Lab open from 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m..

I read the latest Library Journal for May 15, 2012 and am reading the May 20, 2012 New York Times Book Review.  Libraries often subscribe to The New York Times Book Review before it is released with the Sunday paper.

I spent a little bit of time on Lynda.com learning more of Dreamweaver CS5.  The Codecademy class is making the video on Lynda.com easier to understand.  One thing I have learned from the Codecademy class is that code has to be100% right or it does not work.  The person doing the practice code has to follow the instructions exactly or it does not work. This can be challenging.

I spent some time thinking about which displays which I might do during the coming year.  In addition to the current events and current biography book display, I try and do a new book display each month.


On the way home, I started reading Alexander Pope's translation of Ulysses.  It is an 18th century  translation which makes it a very different experience to read.  I downloaded it for free on my Kindle Touch.  It is a bit odd reading this version of Ulysses.  It has some rather anachronistic touches in it with some of the descriptions.  I remember my father reading me Ulysses when I was six.  There is an essay at the beginning of the book about the life of Homer.

No comments: