Friday, January 12, 2018

Daily Thoughts 01/12/2018


Portrait of Henri Cordier, Teacher at the School of Oriental Languages, Gustave Caillebot, 1883

Daily Thoughts 01/12/2018

I checked the library Twitter and Facebook this morning.

Last night, I finished reading Grandville Force Majeure A Detective-Inspector Lebrock of Scotland Yard Scientific-Romance Thriller by Bryan Talbot.  This is an antrhopomorphic or furry comic. It is the fifth book in the series.  The content is quite mature.  My favorite character in this book is  Detective Chief Inspector Stamford Hawksmoor who is Lebrock's mentor.  I like the depiction of a detective as a hawk.

I also read some more of Making Contact.  Jill Tarter is famous for being the model for the female astronomer in Carl Sagan's book, Contact.  I also like that the book gives clarity to the idea that when you look for aliens, you often learn about other things which are quite inexplicable.  I rather like the recent idea that a possible alien megastructure is dust.  https://gizmodo.com/new-results-quash-alien-megastructure-theory-of-myste-1821734317    I also like that even though we found fast radio bursts, we have no idea what they are.  http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/10/world/repeating-fast-radio-burst-frb121102/index.html

I checked the displays and the gift books.

I called a few people about programs.  We are working on the calendar of events.

I checked the New York Times Bestseller list and The Publishers Weekly Bestseller list.

I looked at the Diamond Comic Distributors Top Graphic Novels for November 2017
https://www.diamondcomics.com/Home/1/1/3/597?articleID=203747

I spent some time checking part-timers schedules today.

I am in the computer lab right now.

There is a supplement for African American titles in the latest Ingram Advance.  February 2018 is African American history month.


Web Bits



ALA to Congress in 2018: Continue to #Fundlibraries

No comments: