Saturday, January 13, 2018

Daily Thoughts 01/13/2018

The Readers - Alberto Magnelli
The Readers, Alberto Magnelli, 1931

Daily Thoughts 01/13/2018

I checked the Twitter and Facebook this morning for the library.

I finished reading Making Contact Jill Tarter and the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence by Sarah Scoles.  I rather enjoyed this book.  I like the concepts behind astrobiology, radio telescopes, and SETI.  They are huge, expansive concepts that open people to new ideas.  For example, the idea of extremophiles or creatures that can live in volcanic vents or on chemical spills is intriguing.  It shows how curious the universe is.  Things like radio astronomy show how small we are and how huge the universe is.  This is satisfying to me.  The willingness to give yourself to something huge in science is admirable.  This was an excellent book.

I started reading No Time to Spare Thinking About What Maters yesterday on the train home.  Ursula K. Le Guin has turned 80 and she is reflecting on life.  This is a collection of short writings.

I started on my Winning Support and Influencing Communities for Library Funding assignments for next week.  I have to list three events which are networking oriented for my community which I plan to attend.

I registered for the Urban Librarians Unite conference today which is on April 13, 2018.

Web Bits


Museums and Library Services Act 2017 Introduced In Senate


Holt Ships 700K Copies of 'Fire and Fury'


As Escondido Prepares To Outsource Its Library, Another City Drops Firm



No comments: