Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Daily Thoughts 05/30/2018


Feuerbach, Paolo and Francesca, 1863

Daily Thoughts 05/30/2018

I checked the library Twitter and Facebook this morning.

I spent some time looking through the list of exhibitors on the Book Expo America website.

I am going to Day of Dialog this morning.  It should be interesting.

I got to John Jay College of Criminal Justice at 9:00 a.m.  I went upstairs to the mezzanine and had a few pastries.  I also had a cup of coffee.  I looked at the different vendors who were at the Day of Dialog.  There was Ingram, Baker and Taylor, Midwest Tape, Harlequin, Hoopla, Sourcebooks, and a lot of the bigger vendors and publishers.  Crooked Lane Books was a new vendor for mystery books.  There was a focus on mystery books this year.

There was an excellent lineup of authors. Many of these were picked out by the top editors in the big publishing houses.   The editors often talked about how they appreciated librarians.

I picked up a variety of advanced reading copies and regular books.  There were a number of books we will add to the library collection like The Battle for Paradise Puerto Rico Takes On Disaster Capitalists by Naomi Klein, Chibi the Official Mark Crilley How To Draw Guide, Mad Boy, An Account of Henry Phipps in the War of 1812 by Nick Arvin,

There were panels running all day.  I am not going over specific panels, just some of the books which I liked.

After each panel, they gave time to have authors sign the books which they read.  I am going to give away some of the signed books for the Adult End of Summer Reading Party.  One which stands out is John Woman by Walter Mosley, another is Bad Blood Secrets and Lies in a Silicon Valley Startup by John Carreyrou, and there is also M.C. Beaton, The Witches Tree An Agatha Raisin Mystery.  I have a nice stack of books to give away during the Adult End of Summer Reading Party.

I will also put a few of the Advanced Reading Copies on the shelf where we share galleys for staff to look over.  There are some interesting books which I definitely plan to order for the collection including The Library Book by Susan Orlean, Proud My Fight for An Unlikely American Dream by Ibtihaj Muhammad, What Truth Sounds Like by Michael Eric Dyson, Elizabath Warren by Eric Felix, and other books.

I also picked out a few books which I want to read for my own edification, Damn Fine Story Mastering the Tools of Powerful Narrative by Chuck Wendig, Rising Out of Hatred The Awakening of a Former White Nationalist by Eli Saslow, and Accessory to War The Unspoken Alliance Between Astrophysics and the Military by Neil Degrasse Tyson and Avis Lang.

We had a nice lunch.

I recognized a few people from Library Journal.  It was a pleasant experience.  There were a few people who had been let go from my library who were there.  I am glad they have found other places to work.

I picked up an extra program for the director of the Mount Vernon Public Library.  I will write a report on the conference when I get back to work on Tuesday.  I am on meeting time when I attend these conferences.

This means I also check my email when I get back to make sure things are in order at work.

I requested an advanced reading copy of Trump/Russia a Definitive History by Seth Hettena from Melville House.

Web Bits


Every Child Ready to Read Program

The 2017 Public Library Data Service Report: Characteristics and Trends

No comments: