Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Daily Thoughts 12/1/2009

Library of Congress, Prints & Photographs Division, Carl Van Vechten Collection, [reproduction number, e.g., LC-USZ62-54231] Maugham, W. Somerset--(William Somerset),--1874-1965. The Razor's Edge is a great novel.



Daily Thoughts 12/1/2009

I am back from vacation today. I returned my book and checked out a bunch of items, Me 2.0 by Dan Schwabel which is about building a personal network online, Social Intelligence by Daniel Goleman, Six Pixels of Separation by Mitch Joel, Trust Agents by Chris Brogan (Chris Brogan spoke last year at Tools of Change for Publishing), Diving Into the Wreck by Kristine Kathryn Rusch, and Halo Evolution, Essential Tales of the Halo Universe ( Tobias Buckell has a story in this book.)

There are a few books which I was interested in but didn't take, Vladimir Nabokov, The Original of Laura (this is Nabokov's manuscript for his final work, it is on notecards and unfinished. Vladimir Nabokov did not want it published, but his son published it anyway after his death.) The other book which I'll probably read later is Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters. Sometimes, there are just too many books.

I had various things to do including updating the displays and catching up on my reading. I still have quite a bit to do. I read some of Booklist and Publishers Weekly. I also finished putting in my orders for the month of November. Tomorrow, I have to work on the display stands for the "New Arrivals" section.

On the way home, I read some of Me 2.0, Build A Powerful Brand to Achieve Career Success. The book is on personal branding. The book comes across as a bit narcissistic. Still, it has quite a bit that seems useful to say about how to market yourself as a person. There is a lot for people just entering the job market. It makes the claim that people need to have more than a resume and recommendations to succeed.

No comments: