Thursday, November 21, 2013

Daily Thoughts 11/21/2013

Portrait of a Young Lady, Alfred Stevens, 1906

Daily Thoughts 11/21/2013

I read some more of The Everything Store on the train to work. One of the reasons Jeff Bezos is an entrepreneur is that he always knew that he wanted to go into space and needed wealth to do it. He even has a space exploration company called Blue Origin.

I checked the library Twitter and Facebook this morning.

I spent some time checking the new books and the gift books. There was a nice copy of Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins in the gift books. I also spent a little time weeding in the oversize collection today.

This morning, I spent some time discussing Bookletters with my colleagues. I am thinking about how we are going to use it in the new website.

We have some new labels for the graphic novels.

I put the book, The Flamethrowers by Rachel Kushner which is a 2013 Finalist for the National Book Award on hold.

On the way home, I read some more of The Everything Store. Part of the book talks about the different management techniques which Amazon.com uses including Kaizen, lean manufacturing, and Six Sigma. There is also a belief that Amazon is not just a retail operation. It is a technology company. I have some doubts about how Brad Stone describes the inner workings of Amazon. Amazon is a very secretive company.

Web Bits

National Museum and Library Services Board Explores Maker Movement

http://blog.imls.gov/?p=4384

It is all about "steam" science, technology, engineering, arts, and mathematics.

Libraries and Librarians are More Relevant Than Ever in the Digital Age

http://www.impactlab.net/2013/11/20/libraries-and-librarians-are-more-relevant-than-ever-in-the-digital-age/#!

U.S. Public Libraries and the Use of Web Technologies 2012

http://www.lrs.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/WebTech2012_CloserLook.pdf

No comments: