Friday, November 22, 2013

Daily Thoughts 11/22/2013

Fumi yomu musume Print shows a young woman, full-length, standing, facing left, reading a letter. Date Created/Published: [between 1844 and 1848]

Daily Thoughts 11/22/2013

This morning, I read some more of The Everything Store. One of the reasons Amazon worked on the Kindle was because they thought Apple or Google might create it first.

This morning, I checked the new books. I also checked the Twitter and Facebook for the library.

I checked out the book, Dogfight How Apple and Google Went to War and Started a Revolution by Fred Vogelstein this morning. We are steadily getting a nice selection of new books.

We have ten new computers in the computer lab.

I spent some time reading through the latest New York Times Book Reviews. I also spent a little time going over Bookletters with a colleague in the children's room.

On the way home, I finished reading The Everything Store, Jeff Bezos and the Age of Amazon by Brad Stone. One of the things which impressed me about Bezos was his ability to take books of theory like Built to Last: Successful Habits of Visionary Companies by Jim Collins and Jerry L. Porras or The Innovators Dilemma: The Revolutionary Book That Will Change the Way You Do Business by Clayton M. Christensen and put the theories in books he has read into practice inside his company. I find this fascinating. There is an Appendix in the back of the book called Jeffs Reading List which lists many of the books which Jeff Bezos read. Most of them are classics of business writing.

Web Bits

Solving the Biggest Mystery Publishing Well and Profitably

https://www.kirkusreviews.com/features/solving-biggest-mystery-all-publishing-well-and-pr/

No comments: