Thursday, September 8, 2016

Daily Thoughts 09/08/2016

Le Gouter - Marie Bracquemond
Le Gouter, Marie Bracquemond, 1880

Daily Thoughts 09/08/2016

I checked the library Twitter and Facebook this morning.

On the way to work, I read some more of Paper Paging Through History.  I am reading about how paper spread to different countires, first starting with Chinese then spreading to Japan and Korea, then to the Arabs, then to Italy.  Right now, I am reading about the history of paper in Italy.  Mark Kurlansky is describing how the first watermarks came into existence.  The book has mentioned two great libraries so far, the library at Alexandria and the Bayt Al Hikma (House of Wisdom).

I spent some time working on the 3M Biblioteca Cloud Library.  Hopefully, it will go live on Monday for the Mount Vernon Public Library.

I spent some time talking to people about programming today.  We are going to have a program on the Rat Pack in December as well as the author, Imbolo Mbue with her new book, Behold the Dreamers in November.  I am also looking at a mobile devices program in October.  Kenneth C. Davis is coming on September 24 as part of the first Annual Friends of the Library meeting.  His new book, In The Shadow of Liberty: The Hidden History of Slavery, Four Presidents, and Five Black Lives is coming out on September 20, 2016.

I am going to talk to someone about doing a memoir workshop as part of the Arts Alive Grant.

I have a copy of the New York Times Book Review to read.

A box of Advanced Reading Copies came in to look at.  The ARC for Hag-Seed by Margaret Atwood looks interesting.

The Nix by Nathan Hill came in for me to read as well.

There is a Beginning Microsoft Excel class tonight from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.

Web Bits


Library Card Helps Bring Imaginations to Life


No comments: