Saturday, April 24, 2010

Daily Thoughts 4/24/2010


Français : Service des expéditions - Librairie Hachette - ca 1880, Hachette is a French Publisher.

Daily Thoughts 4/24/2010

Today has been a quiet day. I changed a book display from books on the American West to books on World War II. We also took some time to take out some older books from the displays. I also printed up some poster size signage for the shelves, I still have to do more of these. Then it will be shelf cards.

I was reading Booklist today. I am looking forward to seeing Beautiful Maria of My Soul by Oscar Hijuelos out in June. I enjoyed reading The Mambo Kings Sing Songs of Love. I am a bit conflicted about the book, He Walked Among Us by Norman Spinrad. It is a science fiction story about a prophet from the future. It has very mixed reviews. I liked reading Child of Fortune and Bug Jack Barron by him.

I checked out The Dream of Perpetual Motion by Dexter Palmer which looks like a more literary style of steampunk. It should be interesting. I tried to read some of it on the train, but found myself losing interest. I follow the fifty page rule where if a book does not hold my interest after fifty pages, I usually stop reading it. I read until page 62. The style is fine, but a bit dry. I think I will read something else.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you like science fiction and history consider reading my novel America's Galactic Foreign Legion - Feeling Lucky. AGFL is a 13 book humorous science fiction series depicting America taking humanity and American culture across the galaxy to battle spider-like aliens.

AGFL is written my Walter Kinght (me) www.waltknight.yolasite.com and published by Penumbra Publishing www.penumbrapublishing.com

AGFL is available at www.amazon.com