Saturday, August 6, 2011

Daily Thoughts 8/6/2011

A little girl raids the family library to cut out pictures for a collage, 1884 

Daily Thoughts 8/6/2011



I spent some time on Facebook this morning.  I am trying find local organizations that have done programs with the library and like them.  It is kind of interesting.  I also read some of Nonproft Management 101 A Complete and Practical Guide for Leaders and Professionals.  Right now, I am reading about fundraising.  83% of fundraising comes from individual donors.  I rather like the idea that most fundraising succeeds from building relationships.

I also finished reading The Successful Business Plan Strategies and Secrets by Rhonda Abrams.  I learned that I need to learn a lot more about financial numbers.  This part was quite hard for me.  I get the ideas behind operations, customer service, technology, marketing and sales, but need work on accounting and finance.  I am starting to read Successful Business Research Straight to the Numbers You Need Fast by Rhonda Abrams.  If nothing else, this will help me get a better grasp of how finance works in business. I spent some time looking at Infotrac database, Business and Company Resource Center going over summaries of the electronic publishing business. On Monday, I'll probably spend some time in Lexis, Reference USA and Hoovers to get some more information.

I read a bit more of Blue Ocean Strategy as well.  They are describing how companies like Home Depot, Jet Blue, and Cirque Du Soleil both differentiate themselves and reduce costs at the same time.

Web Bits


Quotation by John Maynard Keynes in Shelf Awareness
http://www.shelf-awareness.com/issue.html?issue=1525#m12959

No comments: