Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Daily Thoughts 08/08/2012


1973 U.S. Postal Service stamp in honor of Robinson Jeffers

Daily Thoughts 08/08/2012

This morning, I read some more of Difficult Situations. The authors are writing about how to avoid self sabotage and get across a clear, sincere message that sounds like it is coming across from you personally.

This morning, I checked the Twitter and Facebook accounts.  I also checked the gift books and the displays.  On Friday, August 10, 2012 from 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m., we are having the End of Summer Reading Literary Tea Party for the participants in the Adult Summer Reading program where we are raffling off a bag of books, discussing what they read during the summer, and serving tea and light refreshments.  I have been working on a certificate, getting lottery tickets, and approval for purchasing refreshments.

The New York Times Book Review, Publishers Weekly, and Booklist are here today for me to read.  I am looking through them a bit right now.  We also have the Computer Lab for Academic Use from 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.   The Friends of the Mount Vernon Public Library are meeting directly across the Rotunda Art Gallery in the Trustees room.  It has been quite busy.

I placed the book, The Last Bohemia: Scenes from the Life of Williamsburgh, Brooklyn by Robert Anasi on hold.  It sounded entertaining because it is about art hipsters who I find both a bit annoying, amusing, and daft, but really don't know enough about the "movement".  I also placed a hold on Alif the Unseen by G. Willow Wilson as well as The Unfair Trade How Our Broken Global Financial System Destroys the Middle Class by Michael J. Casey.  I also put Days of Destruction, Days of Revolt by Joe Sacco and Chris Hedges on hold.

I rather liked the essay at the end of the New York Times Book Review for August 12, 2012 on P.30, Dead Again Every Generation Rewrites the Book's Epitaph.

Web Bits

Did Google Create Library Project to Crush Amazon
http://vator.tv/news/2012-08-07-did-google-create-library-project-to-crush-amazon

No comments: