Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Daily Thoughts 08/28/2012




Daily Thoughts 08/28/2012

I am relaxing today as much as possible.  I have been reading more of Evolutionaries.  The author is writing about transhumanism which is a little odd in my opinion.  Many people believe that we transcend the flesh and be able to transfer the pattern of our brains to computers.  Some believe that our bodies are made out of meat and there are better ways to live.  Others believe in modifying our consciousness by introducing computers into their bodies.  There are art projects where people have inserted cameras in their heads.  It is a little weird.  It is not for me, I rather like my body and all the wonderful things I can do it.  The basic idea is that people should transcend the human condition using technology.

Right now, I am also on Chapter 9 of Margarita Madrigal's Magic Key to Spanish.  I am learning about the past tense and putting together short sentences on different subjects in Spanish.  I am also reading How to Keep People From Pushing Your Buttons.

I spent a little bit of time updating the Twitter and Facebook for the library.  I also spent a bit of time looking at different social media sites.

I met the new director yesterday for our library.  It was a pleasant experience.  There was a reception for the staff with fruit, cheese, vegetables, and wine.  I think it will go well.

There is a free webinar screening of Universal Access to All Knowledge with Brewster Kahle at Metro on Wednesday, September 5 from 2:00 p.m. to 3:30 p.m., it looks rather interesting.
http://metro.org/events/230/ 

There is another interesting webinar which is $10 for librarians on October 1, 2012, Webinar: Responsive Web Design for Libraries.  http://metro.org/events/238/ 

I may have an opportunity to volunteer at Book2Camp.  The last one was awesome.  http://www.book2camp.org/


No comments: