Thursday, June 1, 2017

Daily Thoughts 06/01/2017

File:PopowaPhilosoph.jpg
Lyubov Popova, Portrait of a Philosopher, 1920

Daily Thoughts 06/01/2017

I checked the library Twitter and Facebook this morning.

I went to Book Expo America this morning.  It was a smaller show this year.  It looked like there was a lot of consolidation in the publishing industry.  I could finish walking the show flower in several hours.  It used to take me more than one day to walk the show floor.

There were less galleys out on the floor.  Many of the publishers are now using a combination of Netgalley http://www.netgalley.com or Edelweis to get electronic review copies of most books.http://edelweiss.abovethetreeline.com/

This makes it much less likely that there are as many paper galleys.  I still filled one box of new books to ship back to the library.

At 11:00 a.m., I went to a focus group for librarians to discuss the show.  We spent a little over an hour discussing the show from a librarian point of view.  For example, I often am seeking writers who can come to our library.

I looked through the Publishers Weekly Show Daily at lunch time.
http://www.digitalpw.com/digitalpw/bea_show_daily_june_1__2017?pg=1#pg1

I got some chicken and rice on 34th street and brought it back to the show.  The food is very expensive inside the Javits Center.

At 3:00 p.m., I went to a Librarian Networking Event.  They were serving champagne.  I got to see one of my colleagues from Brooklyn Public Library.

I picked up a galley of Blue Ocean Shift Beyond Competing Proven Steps to Inspire Confidence and Seize New Growth by W. Chan Kim and Renee Mauborgne which is a business strategy book.

On the way home, I read some of Heretics! The Wondrous and Dangerous Beginnings of Modern Philsosophy by Steven Nadler and Ben Nadler which is a graphic novel printed by Princeton University Press.

Teen Titans is the theme for the September Library Card Sign Up Month.

Web Bits


Margaret Atwood and Other Library Heroes are Teaming Up to Help the NYPL

Queens library branch hosting epic 31 hour open house

                                                                     

No comments: