Friday, June 9, 2017

Daily Thoughts 06/09/2017


Married Life - Roger de La Fresnaye
Married Life, Roger de La Fresnaye, 1913

Daily Thoughts 06/09/2017

I checked the library Twitter and Facebook this morning.

I read some of Nat Love who is a famous black cowboy.  The story is so gripping that I missed my train stop.  It is not politically correct.  There are battles between Native Americans and cattlemen as well as gunfights with bandits trying to steal cattle.  Nat Love describes what it was like to be a cowboy on the open range, a master horseman, and dead shot.  He earns the name "Deadwood Dick" by proving he is the best shot with the rifle and pistol in a contest.  He also describes what it is like to rope and throw cattle.  He starts as the son of a slave on a farm living a life of hardship.  Then he wins a raffle for a horse, sells the horse and heads out west.

I checked the displays and the gift books this morning.

I also am looking over items that are not in the system.

I spent some time working on activities for Summer Reading.  We have the sign up page set up.  I also am finalizing the prizes which will be given out as part of the Adult Summer Reading.  We are planning a book to film program where we watch the film and read the book and discuss both.

I also checked the New York Times Bestseller list and the Publishers Weekly Bestseller list.  I am working on an order of books today.

I have a new part-time clerk who is going to be working in the public computer area and the computer lab in the afternoons.  I also have a person who is going to be working with me full time, so I have training to do as well as scheduling.  In addition, I have a part-time librarian who is starting tomorrow on Saturday.

I finished reading The Life and Adventures of Nat Love: Better Known in the Cattle Country as "Deadwood Dick".  I like that the book shows how the country changes.  Nat Love goes from being a cowboy to being a Pullman Porter working on the railroads when he realizes that the railroads are moving west.  The writing shows a change in stride while still keeping the reader interested.  

Web Bits


GLBT Book Month

New Book: "America and the Great War: A Library of Congress Illustrated History"

We have this.  We also bought  The Card Catalog which is another recent publication from the Library of Congress.

Pondering A Country Without Libraries
http://nepr.net/post/pondering-country-without-libraries#stream/0

No comments: