Friday, June 2, 2017

Daily Thoughts 06/02/2017

Strawberry Man at Fourth & Race - Google Art Project.jpg
Strawberry Man At Fourth & Race, 1862, Unknown

Daily Thoughts 06/02/2017

Today was the final day of Book Expo America.  I shipped back a 37 pound box of books to the library which included a variety of catalogs.

There were a number of interesting things which I saw on the show floor.  For example, I got the book, Girls Who Code by Reshma Saujani which is teen book focused on teaching programming to teenage girls.  I also saw a teen book called Getting Started With Coding Get Creative With Code by Camilla McCue, Ph.D. which is teen book in the For Dummies series.  Hopefully these will both be useful for when we start doing more teen computer classes.

2017 Big Books at Book Expo


This morning, I checked the Twitter and Facebook for the library.

I spent some more time walking the show floor and picked up some more books.  I ran into a few more of my colleagues.  The show was a much more tightly run show.

I went to the Annual Librarians Shout N' Share from 1:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m. where a panel of librarians made recommendations on galleys that they had found during the show.

I also went to Book Reviews: The Diversity of Race, Ethnicity, and Sexual Orientation in the morning.  This was more about how book reviews are done for minority groups than specific sources for book reviews.  There was a discussion of the process of representation in reviewing books.  It was put on by the Children's Book Council.  http://www.cbcdiversity.com

I spent some time checking the New York Times Bestseller List and the Publishers Weekly Bestseller list when I got home.

Web Bits


Inside the Magic Library at the Conjuring Arts Research Center



No comments: