Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Daily Thoughts 06/28/2017


Portrait of Adelaida Simonovich.jpg
Portrait of Adelaide Simonovich, 1889. Oil on canvas. The Russian Museum, St. Petersburg, Russia.

Daily Thoughts 06/28/2017

I checked the library Twitter and Facebook this morning.

I finished reading Social Media for Writers Marketing Strategies for Building Your Audience and Selling Books by Tee Morris and Pip Ballantine.  I learned that for every minute spent creating video, it requires an hour of editing.  This is a huge amount of time.  It is why I am reluctant about things like Youtube.  However, the book also does remind us of the importance of having photographs and images with your social media.  This is a solid overview of social media for people who write books.

I also read a little more of A Paradise Built In Hell.  I am reading about the aftermath of 09/11 and the World Trade Center.  Rebecca Solnit describes how the people who are there at the scene of a disaster are always the first ones to respond.

I started on Drawing On the Right Side of the Brain by Betty Edwards.  This is a combination of brain science and drawing class.

I checked the displays and the gift books in the morning.  I am continuing to work on an annual schedule for the year for my department.

We had a management meeting this morning where we discussed a variety of different subjects.

I spent some time discussing policies with a colleague.

I printed up some flyers for the computer classes.  There is a Beginning HTML 5 and CSS class tonight in the computer lab.

On the way home, I read some more of A Paradise Built In Hell.  I am reading about the Hurricane Katrina.  It is an example of government corruption, racism, poor planning, bad infrastructure, and improper reporting combined with a natural disaster.  I am finding this book difficult to read, it is very anti-authoritarian in its style.


Web Bits



This is the Future of Libraries In the Digital Age

ALA 2017: Graphic Novels Supply Diversity

This 400 Year Old Jewish Library Survived Hitler and the Inquisition

The Royal Archives and the Library of Congress Plan Major Joint Exhibition Exploring the Two Georges

No comments: