Thursday, July 3, 2008

Todays Thoughts

Inscription regarding Tiberius Claudius Babillus of Rome (d. 56 CE) which confirms that the Library of Alexandria must have existed in some form in the first century AD.


Todays Thoughts

While reading The Library At Night, I came across some interesting facts. There is nothing quite so entertaining as useless knowledge. Apparently there was never a picture of the Great Library of Alexandria made. No one thought it was important. Also there was only one picture ever made of a Roman library. The Romans stacked their scrolls alphabetically and had little triangular pieces of cloth at the end of their scrolls describing the content. Entertaining, but utterly useless knowledge.

I looked to see if we had any of the titles suggested from comments on my previous post. We have Dark Dreams: A Collection of Horror And Suspense By Black Writers and Thunderland by Brandon Massey. I also looked through the short story collections. There are two interesting collections, Dark Matter, A Century of Speculative Fiction From The African Diaspora, and Dark Matter, Reading The Bones, Speculative Fiction From The African Diaspora. Both are edited by Sharee R. Thomas.

I checked out two books from Jig the Goblin series, Goblin Hero and Goblin Quest. Earlier, I had read the book Goblin War which is the first book in the series. They are light entertainment written by Jim C. Hines.


Today is winding down. Tomorrow, I go on vacation for a week. I am really looking forward to it.
I picked up an anime film which looks kind of interesting. It is called Read Or Die R.O.D. an original anime feature. The main character works for the british library and is a super agent. I haven't seen any episodes yet. I hope it is entertaining. The Library of Congress in the United States gets attacked. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Read_or_Die_%28OVA%29

No comments: