Thursday, November 10, 2011

Daily Thoughts 11/10/2011

Still Life With a Lighted Candle, Peter Claesz

Daily Thoughts 11/10/2011


I read some more of Supergods by Grant Morrison on the train to work this morning.  I also read a little bit more of The Letters of Robert Frost to Louis Untermeyer.  I am looking forward to the Biography Book Club next week on Tuesday from 3:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.  We are also having the Mount Vernon Writers Network on Thursday, November 17, 2011 from

This morning, I checked the Twitter and Facebook accounts for the library.  I also printed shipping labels for the Better World Books boxes.  The boxes are packed and labeled for Monday. 

We opened the Computer Lab from 2:00 to 4:00 p.m. for academic use.  There was a person who was doing some research on Phillis Wheatley and another gentleman who was looking for a job.  It was fairly quiet today.

I spent some more time on Lynda.com studying Microsoft Publisher 2010.  It has become a lot easier for me to help people with basic wordprocessing questions.

I also read the latest Booklist magazine.  

On the way home, I finished reading Supergods by Grant Morrison. Much of the book covers the authors experiences as a writer for superhero comics.  He has firsthand knowledge of what he is writing about.  It was an enjoyable.  I also read some more of The Letters of Robert Frost to Louis Untermeyer.  This is much more down to earth than most books I read.  Robert Frost was a farmer in addition to being a poet.  He has a very old fashioned sensibility to his writing.  I also started The Better Angels of Our Nature Why Violence Has Declined by Steven Pinker.  This is an argument for how civilized behavior reduces violence.

Web Bits

The Public Library Completely Reimagined
http://mindshift.kqed.org/2011/11/the-public-library-completely-reimagined/

Build A Digital People's Library-- From Galley Cat
http://www.mediabistro.com/galleycat/build-a-digital-peoples-library_b41973#more-41973

Occupy Comics Kickstarter Project
http://www.wired.com/underwire/2011/11/occupy-comics-kickstarter-campaign-raises-funds-for-protesters

No comments: